Friday, July 8, 2016

A little time travel.

Today, is one of those regular days. I woke up to the news about the Dallas shooting, and other shootings (Middle East). I re-read the news about the fire in San Diego a couple of weeks ago, and how it brought back memories of what happened 2 years ago - the Bernardo Fire, and how afraid I was with the possibility of our place burning into ashes.

I got up, made my coffee, and went on with my normal routine. I checked my phone for news, emails, messages.

This morning, I realized that my daughter might not have a childhood - that she might just glue her face to her phone, tablet, computer, or whatever technology is out by the time she is 7 years old (or younger!).

Then, I recalled my childhood.

Oh, how I enjoyed playing outside, despite my dad getting upset with me being out all the time.

When I was a child, I enjoyed flying a kite made out of news paper and sticks, attached to a string / thread.

I enjoyed going to the store and buying paper dolls (Sailor Moon).
I enjoyed physically talking with my friends, pretending to be Power Rangers, and pretending to fight monsters.
I would play Lava with my friends in their house.
We would make dance moves to As Long As You Love Me by the Backstreet Boys.
I learned how to play volley ball at the age of 9. It was the start of my love for sports, and when I was in grade school, I was a member of the volleyball varsity team. It was one of the proudest moments of my life.
I would stay outside until 9PM to play with my friends.
On Christmas, we would go to houses and sing christmas songs and share however much money we get.
One Easter, I made boiled some eggs and painted the eggs and gave them to my friends. They told my my egg was not cooked enough, LOL, but it was fun making it though.
I played with guns, and trading cards, and plastic swords with my friends.
I played video games with my friends.

On Friday nights, I would always wait for Shaider (Japanese hero), or sometimes, Ultra Man.

On Sundays, I would get upset about going to church at night. Masked Rider Black would be on TV - so I would go to church in the early afternoon or morning. I would also get upset when I miss watching Time Quest (with the kettle that lets you travel through time), and Ranma 1/2 (character turns into a female or a male depending on the water temperature). On weekday nights, I watch Ghost Fighter (Yu Yu Hakusho), and Fushigi Yuugi.

I learned how to play guitar when I was 10 because of my friends. My mom had a Gibson acoustic guitar, which I used (until my bratty stage kicked in and I smashed it on the ground when someone threw a plastic ball to my face).
I received my first guitar when I was 12 as a graduation present from my dad.
I got another guitar when I was 15 as a pre-graduation present from my mom.
At 16yo, one of my god parents gave me an electric guitar with amplifier for a present.
When I turned 18, one of my friends gave me a guitar (Ovation) as a present.

This is the kind of childhood I shared with people. I enjoyed and loved every bit of it.

No comments: