Thursday, July 23, 2009

Looking Back - Waaaaay back.

I stumbled upon an article at Yahoo with 100 Things Your Kids May Never Know About, and I have to say - I do believe kids today may not know about them.

Here are a few (that I am quoting from the text) that I liked:

  • Inserting a VHS tape into a VCR to watch a movie or to record something.
  • Playing music on an audio tape using a personal stereo. See what happens when you give a Walkman to today’s teenager. (I used to have one before, and I loved my Walkman! I play Blink 182 cassette on it everyday on my way to school. HAHAH!)
  • Betamax tapes. - Smaller version of VCR! I wondered what happened to the laser disc movies (two sided)?
  • 3-D movies meaning red-and-green glasses. - I love these things.
  • The scream of a modem connecting. - From dial up connections. Hahahaha!
  • 5- and 3-inch floppies, Zip Discs and countless other forms of data storage. - These things we SHOULD have during computer classes to store our projects and works. I had mine in pink!
  • Blowing the dust out of a NES cartridge in the hopes that it’ll load this time. - Hahaha, those were the days! Family Computer!
  • Turning a PlayStation on its end to try and get a game to load. - My friends and I would push different buttons thinking that they help in speeding up the loading.
  • Not knowing exactly what all of your friends are doing and thinking at every moment. - Everone is Twitting and FB-ing it now.
  • Privacy. - Exactly.
  • The fact that words generally don’t have num8er5 in them. - I h8 people texting this way.
  • Correct spelling of phrases, rather than TLAs.
  • Waiting several minutes (or even hours!) to download something. - A 3mb file, 1hour. Lucky if you get it in 30minutes.
  • Not knowing who was calling you on the phone.
  • LEGO just being square blocks of various sizes, with the odd wheel, window or door. - I love Legos!
  • Swimming pools with diving boards. - This was fun!
  • Sliding the paper outer wrapper off a Kit-Kat, placing it on the palm of your hand and clapping to make it bang loudly. Then sliding your finger down the silver foil to break off the first finger. - Yeah, what happened to this one? I like doing this.
  • Having to manually unlock a car door. - And wait for the driver to unlock the other doors.
  • A physical dictionary — either for spelling or definitions. - My grandma and grandpa actually bought me one for my birthday.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not old. I'm only 23 years old, but I went through these things when I was a kid. It was a fun childhood, and I think that kids should appreciate and learn about the "Evolution of Other Things" just to know that they're lucky to have what they have and stop demanding for more. ^^

No comments: