Thursday, July 9, 2009

SunBurned



OUCH!

My cousins and I went for a quick swim last Sunday - a post 4th of July celebration. It was fun, until after an hour or so, when other kids finally start coming in the pool to cool themselves off.
These kids starting jumping into the pool, so I kinda thought and hoped that a Community Administrator or some sort would walk and check the pool area and get these kids out before they get hurt. Or even worse - blame the adults in the pool for not watching over them. Eeek!
It wasn't until I got in to the shower did the pain start. I didn't know I'd be taking my tank top off (and show off my big belly) so I didn't really bother putting some sunscreen on my shoulder area. So much for feeling summer-ish.
What are sunburns? They are burns from the sun to living tissues, such as our skins. Too much exposure to the sun can be very dangerous. Less exposure to UV rays can give us sun tan - which people find attractive. But excessive UV rays on our skins? Well, hello CANCER!
My nose is peeling. They peel because they're dead dehydrated skin cells.
Little easy tips for MILD sunburns:
  • Topical anesthetics such as Lidocaine or Benzocaine in form of ointments or spray. Available are your local drug store. - Just make sure you are not allergic to any of these medications. Avoid if you are.
  • My boss told me to use the aloe vera (gel-like looking in a bottle) to decrease inflammation and soothe the pain.
  • Hydrocortisone can reduce inflammation and itching.
  • Cold compress (towel with cool water - not iced!).
  • Application of a towel soaked with white cider vinegar. Sour, but helpful. =)

Prevention is better than cure. Stay out of the sun to prevent exposure. Wear sunscreen when going out. Eyes are pretty sensitive to the sun, too, so don't forget your anti-UV shades.

Sun tans are summer trademarks. Would you risk it?

Sources:

No comments: